05 February 2010

Sugar cookies!

So my brother and his family live at Hill Air Force base just north of Salt Lake City.  There are soo many things that I love about coming out here.  First, the snow!  Growing up in the south, we freak out even when there are only flurries... I come to Hill and there is 3ft of snow on the ground (also, Park City is only 20mins away!)  But the BEST thing about Utah is that my sister-in-law and I share an insane sweet tooth.  We make something new almost every single night (with the help of my adorable 2 year old niece of course).  So, when I arrived wednesday night, I was pleased to see she was making sugar cookies!! These cookies are so good, I think it is because of the secret ingredients that bring out all the flavor.



Ingredients:
2 cups butter (room temp!)
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup milk (I always use skim)
7 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
And the secret flavor ingredients:
1/2 tsp lemon extract flavor
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 T honey


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs, then the milk.  Scrape sides of the bowl.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix just until mixed together.  The dough will be soft and sticky.
4.  Place dough on a well floured pastry cloth or workspace.  Knead the dough until it is workable and has flour all over the top.  
5.  Roll it out to 3/8 in thick.  Cut into desired shapes.  We did hearts since it is so close to Valentine's Day, but you can do any shape you want!!
6. Bake for 10-12 mins or until edges barely start to change colors


Makes about 4 dozen!!

My little helper!!


Some of the finished cookies!


 HAPPY BAKING AND HAPPY FRIDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment