Today I had an awesome lazy saturday that started off with baking lemon cupcakes!!! This recipe is also from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook... can you tell I'm in LOVE with it yet??? No? stay tuned...
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1.5 tsp baking bowder
2 T grated lemon zest (you will need ~4 lemons total for this recipe)
3 T unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 cup milk (I always use skim)
Grating the lemons!!
1. Preheat oven to 325
2. Put flour, sugar, baking soda, lemon zest, and butter in your KitchenAid mixer (and if you seriously haven't bought one yet, its time... but you can also use a hand held mixer, if you must). Beat on low speed until the mixture has a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
3. Gradually add milk, beat just until incorporated.
4. Add egg, beat just until incorporated, scrape down sides of bowl, then mix on high for a few minutes until batter is smooth. DO NOT overmix!!
5. Spoon into lined cupcake tin, 2/3 full for each. Bake 20-25 mins, or until cake bouces back when touched.
6. Cool in pan for a few mins, then take cupcakes out and cool them completely.
1. Beat together 2 cups confectioners suger, 5 T unsalted room temp butter, 2 T grated lemon zest, and a couple drops of yellow food coloring on medium speed until mixture comes together.
2. Slowly add 2 T milk, mix until incorporated. Turn mixer onto high speed and continue beating until frosting is light and fluffy (tip: the longer you mix, the lighter and fluffier the frosting will be).
Best way to end a lazy Saturday... glass of wine, lemon cupcake, and a movie!
Happy Baking (and Happy Saturday!)