29 March 2010

That's the best cupcake I've ever had!

So yea, second time in a week I made a ton of cupcakes, but this time I had an excuse!! It was my friend's 23rd bday!  The cupcake and frosting recipes are both from PW, and let me tell you, it is the absolute best cupcake I have ever made. Or eaten. Period, end of discussion.  When I took my first bite into this cupcake, I immediately entered heaven, or at least my own personal version of heaven, what I like to call "cupcake/chocolate induced coma heaven"... or something like that.  In honor of PW I'm givin ya the step-wise recipe (ps. its all written out again at the bottom if you don't enjoy scrolling).

First of all, I halved the actual recipe to make ~14 cupcakes.  The original recipe is double this and makes the most amazing chocolate sheet cake ever (9x13). K, now that that's taken care of:


Start by melting 1 stick of regular butter (aka not unsalted). 
While it's melting, boil 1/2 cup of water.

After the butter melts, add 2 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder. 
Mix thoroughly.


Add the boiling water to the pan and then allow it to bubble for about 30secs or so.  Turn off the heat, and set it aside.


In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt.


Pour the hot cocoa mixture over the flour/sugar mixture and stir it a little to allow it to cool.


Pour 1/4 cup buttermilk into a measuring cup. 
Add an egg and stir together.


Add 1/2 tsp vanilla to the mixture.  Whisk it all together. 

Pour the buttermilk mixture over the flour/chocolate mixture and
stir it all together.


Spoon into lined cupcake pan and bake for 20 mins on 350.


Allow to cool, and enjoy them thoroughly like I did :))
Tomorrow I will post the frosting recipe, so stay tuned!

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Melt 1 stick of regular butter in a pan.  While the butter is melting, boil 1/2 cup of water. 
2.  Once the butter is melted, add 2 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder, mix together.  Stir in the boiling water and allow it to boil for ~30 seconds.  Turn off the heat and set aside.
3.  In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt.  Pour the hot chocolate mixture over it and stir it a little to cool the mixture down.
4.  Pour 1/4 cup buttermilk into a measuring cup.  Add an egg and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and mix it all together.  Pour this over the flour/chocolate mixture and stir it all together.
5.  Spoon into lined cupcake pan and bake for 20-25 mins.

Happy Baking, and enjoy the beautiful alabama weather we are supposed to have this week :))

No comments:

Post a Comment