Anyway, these are perfect for any occasion. Day after birthday breakfast. Road trip food to Tampa (filled with ham and more cheddar cheese, duh). Or for just anything you can imagine... Just try them, k?? (and before you do, make sure you read and prep allll the ingredients before any mixing... I messed up the first time I made this bc I didn't read it all first)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
12 T unsalted, COLD butter (1.5 sticks), diced
1/2 cup cold buttermilk, shaken
1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 egg beaten with 1 T water or milk
1. Preheat oven to 425. Place flour, baking powder, and salt in an electric mixer with paddle attachment. With mixer on low, quickly add the cold, diced butter. Mix JUST UNTIL pea sized clumps form.
Make sure you really dice the butter!
So when you add the butter, these pea sized clumps will form.
2. Mix together the buttermilk and the egg and beat lightly with a fork. With mixer still on low, quickly add this to the flour/butter mixture once the pea sized clumps form.
3. In a small bowl mix the cheddar cheese (I used a little more than 1 cup) with a little flour, then add to the mixer and mix a little.
The dough will be very sticky when you are done.
4. Dump dough on a well-floured surface. Knead the dough a few times.
Make a nice ball before you roll it out!
5. Roll dough out into a 10" x 5" rectangle, and cut into 8 pieces. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush tops with the egg wash mixture. Bake for 20-25 mins. Serve hot!!
They should be about 3/4" thick uncooked
So when they are cooked, they are nice and plump!!!!
Ps. In case you were wondering, I didn't get to hug Big Papi at the Red Sox game, the security guard chased me down when I was on my way... but here is a picture of how close I got!
A little blurry, but, again, I was being chased haha... little blonde girl running from the police with camera in hand = funny mental image... Papi is #34 by the stairs (which I also went down and could almost touch Francona, the coach, but I was chased away... again). Anyways, it was a fun spring break!!
Happy Baking and have a great weekend!!!