19 April 2010

Pasta with Mushrooms

So, this weekend I had some friends over for dinner on Saturday night.  After a little thought, I decided to make this Mushroom Rigatoni Bake... its easy, only takes a hour, and is from the Cooking Light cookbook... aka its a healthy pasta... that seems like an oxymoron, oh well.  It was fantastic though!!

Here's the thing though, I didn't take any pictures of it.... at all... You see, my friends were there, and I thought they would think I was reallyyy weird if I busted out my camera to take a picture of mushrooms in a pan... even though they all read my blog... oh well, one day I will not be camera shy!! When I make it again, I will post pictures.  Just trust me when I say you should make it!

This is the picture of it from the cookbook!!
Ingredients:
8oz uncooked rigatoni, radiatore, or gigli pasta
2 tsp butter
1/4 cup shallots, sliced
12 oz mushrooms (cremini and shitaki)...I used the "gourmet mixed pack" at publix!
1 T chopped, fresh thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 T dry sherry (I used cooking sherry)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups 1% reduced fat milk
1 cups (4 oz) grated Asiago cheese
Cooking Spray

Directions: (Makes 4 servings)
1.  Preheat oven to 375.  Then cook the pasta according the directions on the box, just until al dente.  Set aside.

2.  Melt butter in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.  Add shallots, saute 3 mins.  Add mushrooms, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic.  Saute 8 mins.  Add sherry, cook 1 min, stirring frequently.  Remove from heat.

3.  Place flour in a dutch oven or a large pan over medium-high heat, and slowly add milk, whisking constantly.  Bring mixture to a boil, cook 1 min or until it's thick after it begins boiling.  Remove from heat, add half of the cheese (1/2 cup), stirring until melted.  Add mushrooms and pasta to the cheese mixture.  Tossing well to combine.

4.  Spoon mixture into an 8in baking dish.  Sprikle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top.  Bake for 30mins.  Then devour it in 15 mins like we did!!! 

Happy Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment