If you are from the South, or your name is Sarah, you consider chicken salad to be its own level on the food pyramid. Seriously, name 5 people you know who hate it... I dare you! BUT, if you could only hear the stats from most restaurants, you may never buy it again... It's all in the sauce, these places LOAD up on the mayonaise, and they are NOT using the fat free mayo either..
Panera Bread: 680 cal, 26 g of FAT... why you ask? mayonaise...
Zoe's Kitchen: 365 cal, but 31 g of fat... aka 50% of daily fat intake... wayy too much!
Chick-fil-a: 500 cal, 20 g of fat, 95mg of cholesterol... that's a lot!
and the killer...
Arby's Pecan Chicken Salad: 870 cal, 44 g of fat... WTF!?
If these stats don't convince you, then you should try this recipe below... because not only is it low fat and easy to make, but it also tastes better than anything you will buy at the store!!
My Easy Chicken Salad Recipe:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Grapes or Apples (or both)
Fat Free Mayonaise
Fat Free Sour Cream
Little bit of light brown sugar
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
1. Place your chicken breasts into a large dutch oven, cover with large amount of water. Bring water to a boil. Once it's at a boil, continue to cook for ~30-40 mins. Remove from water and allow it to cool for a little bit.
2. Cut up the chicken with two forks, or your fingers, whatever floats your boat. Place in a large bowl. Throw in your celery and apples/grapes/both.
3. In a seperate bowl, make your sauce. I never use exact amounts, but use a 2-1 mixture of mayo to sour cream. Add 1 T lemon juice or vinegar, whichever you like better. Then throw in 1 T or so of brown sugar... this counteracts the acidity of the lemon juice.
4. Mix the sauce together. Taste it. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Add chopped dill and a couple sprinkles of tarragon... because fresh herbs just make everything taste better...
5. Pour this over your chicken. Mix it all together. Then, and this is the most important part, refrigerate this for at least an hour or so before eating it... this allows all the different flavors to gel together and just taste yummy.
6. Make yourself a sandwich (in which I use spinach and honey mustard) and eat up!!