26 January 2010

Scones and Stupidity


Ask any of my friends and they will tell you that stupid decisions are something I am good at.  Stupid boys, Stupid gossip, Stupid roommates... you get the picture.  After gaining weight last year, I have slowly been losing it (down 13 pounds, yayy!)... However, it seems that I have decided to halt that apparent weight loss.  Stupidity now resides on Tuesday nights, for I have decided to make Tuesdays, "Try it Tuesday".  Every Tuesday I will try a new recipe, and share my successes and inevitable failures with you.  SO, all my friends out there for the love of god PLEASE come to my apartment on wednesdays and take away all the sweets I have made so I can LOSE this weight!

Week #1: Maple Oatmeal Scones... YUMMMM!!!


This is a recipe I got off Barefoot Contessa (aka Ina Garten).  I LOVE everything she makes on that show, so if you haven't seen it, you should!  The prep is only 10 minutes (total time 35mins).  It is the perfect recipe for a brunch party or just breakfast on the weekend with the family!

Ingredients:
3.5 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick cook oatmeal oats
2 T baking powder (note: T=tablespoon, tsp=teaspoon)
2T granulated sugar
2 tsp salt
1 lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter (cold and cut up into SMALL pieces)

1/2 cup cold buttermilk
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
4 extra large eggs, beaten
Egg Wash: 1 egg, 1 T water or cream mixed

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 400
2.) Attach paddle to your KitchenAid mixer.  In bowl combine the flours, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  On the lowest speed, slowly add the butter pieces.  Mix until small peas form throughout the mix.
3.) Combine the buttermilk, eggs, and maple syrup.  Add to the mix, and mix just until blended.  Dough will be sticky.
4.) Place dough on a WELL floured surface.  Roll out the dough to 3/4-1 inch thick.  Cut out scones with a cookie cutter or into whatever shape you want.  Place scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5.) Brush tops of dough with the egg wash.  Bake for 20-25 mins, until tops are crisp and insides are done.


Make Glaze by combining 1.25 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup maple syrup, and 1 tsp vanilla extract.  After the scones have cooled for 5mins, drizzle glaze on the scones and serve!  For extra garnish, place oats on top of glaze!


My finished product! SOO good!


Happy Baking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment