So if you were born even remotely near the south, you have heard of/eaten chicken poppyseed casserole. When I came home from work today, I was fully expecting yet another set of take out menus placed on the kitchen table for me to pick from... and my body was silently preparing itself for the billion miles I would have to run to work off said takeout. BUT, I amazingly came home to find my Mom getting out the ingredients to make the one and only casserole I will eat... I swear I'm not a picky eater, I just reallyyy don't like casseroles for some reason... probably because I have been force fed them my entire life.
Anyways, this recipe is from my sister-in-law Kristin... The first time I put it in my mouth, something like this was said, "OMG this is like crack.... (big mouth full of food)... you just can't stop eating it". Then I began making it for friends. Again. And again. And again. Concensus?? Everyone agrees. Just try it. Love it. Die. Then try it again.
PS. We still don't have an oven, but we finally got a convection oven!!! YAY!! real food will be made again! And I can start posting recipes!!
3-4 chicken breasts
8oz fat free sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup chicken broth
1.5 rolls of ritz crackers
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 T poppy seeds
1. Place the raw chicken breasts in a pot filled with water. Bring water to a boil. Boil for 30 mins. Once cooled off slightly, shread the chicken breasts.
2. Preheat oven to 350. Mix together the sour cream, chicken soup, chicken broth, and chicken breast pieces. Set aside.
3. Crush the ritz crackers and pour them into a bowl. Pour the poppy seeds and melted butter over the crackers, mix together.
4. Spray an 8x8 pan with Pam. Layer half the cracker mixture on the bottom of the pan. Top with all the chicken mixture. Top with the other half of the cracker mixture.
5. Bake for 30 mins. You may have to cover the pan with aluminum foil if the crackers start to get too dark. Serve with brown rice (trust me on this one) and enjoy!!!
Sorry there are no pictures... my camera died... sad day.
PS. Countdown to NYC, 8 days!!!
Let It Be Sunday, 159!
9 hours ago