For Father's day I made my Dad homemade apple pie, one of his all time favorite desserts! This recipe is from the amazing Martha Stewart from her cookbook, The Baking Handbook.
I have to say, it was definiately a hit that I will be making again and again, so you should try it out... and please, serve it was some good, cold vanilla ice cream... it just adds to the flavor!
3 T all purpose flour
2 frozen pie crusts, thawed
1 large egg yolk
1 T heavy cream
3 lbs assorted apples (Granny Smith, Fuji, Macoun, Courtland, etc.)
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1 T unsalted, cold butter, cut into small pieces
extra sugar for sprinkling
1. On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll out one disk of dough to a 12-inch round. Sweep off extra flour with a pastry brush. Fit the dough into a 9in glass pie dish, and press it to the sides. Allow 1/2 in to hang off the edge, all around. Chill for 30 mins, until the dough is firm.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream and set aside, this is the egg wash to be used later.
3. Peel and chop the apples.
4. In a large bowl, toss together the apples, lemon juice, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Arrange these in the chilled pie shell.
5. Dot all over with the cold, choppped butter.
4. Brush rim of pie shell with egg wash. Place the second piece of dough on top, and gently press over apples. Trim dough to a 1in overhang. Tuck dough under and crimp edge if desired.
5. Brush entire surface of pie with egg wash and sprinkle genrously with sugar. Cut three vents into top to allow steam to escape. Freeze until firm, about 30 mins.
6. Preheat oven to 400, with the rack in the lower third of the oven. Place pie on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 mins, or until the crust starts to turn golden brown. Reduce oven temp to 350 and continue baking, rotating the pan halfway through, for 40-50 mins or until the crust is a deep golden brown and the juices have thickened and are bubbling.
7. Transfer pie to wire rack and allow to cool completely. It can be stored at room temp for up to 2 days covered loosely in plastic wrap, but it is best when eaten the same day as cooked.